Saturday, November 16, 2013

Book Sale

Today there was a book sale at a library a few towns over.  The sale started Wednesday and since today's the last day, there's a special.  $5 for a full paper bag full of however many books you can fit.  I am so freakin ecstatic about this that I wanted to show off all I got for just $5!!!



1) The Original Illustrated Arthur Conan Doyle - picked up because I think my dad would really like that as part of his Christmas gift.

2) Patterns in Comparative Religion by Mircea Eliade - It's recently come to my attention that I know very very little about world religions and want to be a more informed person about what beliefs are in the world.

3) The Founders and the Classics by Carl J. Richard - tagline: "Greece, Rome, and the American Enlightenment".  My favorite college class was Western Political Thought which talked at length about Grecian and Roman political theories and since the class took place in America - obviously made the connections between those theories and the Americans founders. Figured a book on that subject couldn't hurt.

4) Andersen's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen - I really want to read the Grimm versions of fairy tales because I hear they're far darker than the Disney-fied versions.  I didn't see any Grimm books in the sale so might as well start with Andersen to see if his are similarly vastly different than the tales I recognize from my youth.

5) My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - I LOVE Jodi Picoult's books.  I've got quite a few of them on my bookshelf/nook currently but I realized I haven't yet read this one when I saw the movie on sale at a Walmart or whatever.  Definitely been on my must read list.  It was just sitting on top of the pile too - such a win.

6) Portraits of Guilt: The Woman who Profiles the Faces of America's Deadliest Criminals by Jeanne Boylan - I really enjoy fictional mysteries and crime novels. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction and an autobiography from a forensic artist could remind me of that.

7) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and other Terrifying Tales by Robert Louis Stevenson - I've never read Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde but have wanted to. A collection with "nine of Stevenson's best known tales of horror and dark fantasy" seems like a win to me.

8) Women as Candidates in American Politics by Susan J. Carroll - I was a political science major in college who was the secretary of the feminist club, making this a must read.

9) Freakeconomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - I've heard good things about Freakenomics and for 42 cents - why not

10) Take 5: 150 five ingredient recipes by WeightWatchers - my favorite recipes on interest are the ones with limited ingredients because they're usually cheaper.  I'm a fan of cheaper.

11) Hollywood v America by Michael Medved - caught my eye. no real reason why.

12) Deadly Little Secrets by Kathryn Casey - A ministers wife commits suicide and reveal "shocking history of lies, infidelity, cruelty, and sexual obsession that may have led to a serial predator cloaked in God's word to commit a murder".  Totally necessary to read.


Gah I'm so happy about all this :) Can't wait to start reading ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment