Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Calzone

Back in my High School Italian Class, Mr. C. told us that pizza in Italy isn't as big of a thing as it is in America. Where Americans will regularly eat pizza for dinner - the main meal of the day, Italians will eat it more like a snack. When hungry children would ask their mothers for a snack, she'd fix something quick based on whatever was lying around the kitchen. And if you've ever been to Italian restaurant, you know common items include bread, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.  Toss on a bit of the meat from dinner leftovers and a pizza is born.

That's pretty much the way I treated last night's dinner.

Calzone


Ingredients:

I could write out some ingredients but I pretty much worked with what I got.  There is no set list of "to make this dish, you need x, y and z".  A calzone is pizza dough stuffed with meats, cheeses, or vegetables so pretty much anything can go with this.  The only ingredient that's really necessary is the dough.

Directions:

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.

Unroll 1 Pillsbury Pizza crust onto a greased cookie sheet.

1/4 cup of tomato sauce is added onto the center of the dough - prolly could have used a bit more but that's what leftovers I had from meals past in my fridge.

Add toppings.

I used about 3/4 of a 4 oz (so I guess 3 oz) of Bridgford Sausage and Turkey Pepperoni Slices - I'm making Bubble Up Pizza later in the week and Bridgford slices were 2 for whatever so I grabbed 2 of each.  I didn't use a whole package of each because I just wanted a single layer along the bottom of the area I'm using.

About 1/2 of a 15 oz Ricotta cheese container leftover from ziti previously was spooned on top of the meats.

A few handfuls - maybe 1 cup tops - of mozzarella cheese was added on top.

Fold over the dough to completely surround the toppings.  I saw a suggestion on Pinterest about how to cut it and make it look all pretty but seriously - ain't nobody got time for that.  

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.


Notes:


After 25 minutes, my crust was finished but Boyfriend found pockets inside that were still a bit cool.  Since there was nothing in my calzone that couldn't be eaten raw, we weren't too concerned. But if in future ventures we try other things that do need to be cooked, I'd pay more attention, probably lower the heat and cook for longer.

I thought the consistency came out real well on this.  I didn't feel like there was too much or not enough of an item.  I did end up opening another tomato sauce jar and using some more sauce to dip my calzone in but Boyfriend was fine without so it's just a matter of tastes.

Like always, I meant to include pictures but once it was done I felt hungry definitely didn't want to wait.

All said and done, this took less than 30 minutes to prep and bake.  Was great for a busy day like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment