Friday, November 15, 2013

Chicken Cornbread Casserole

Back in 2010, I attempted a recipe for Chicken Cornbread Casserole.  Overall, I really enjoyed the concept and the flavors but that recipe was a bit too soupy for my tastes. When I attempted it again, I couldn't find the same recipe because the bookmarked link was broken.  I found a different recipe and again ended up with a casserole that wasn't quite right.

I've told this story before, it's the reason I decided to start keeping this blog - not that I've been very good at updating it until recently (much thanks to Rachael and her 52 weeks though, seeing her posts and excitement have encouraged me to keep with this at least for now).

Well now - several years and attempts later- I think I've figured out just how I want this dish to be.

Chicken Cornbread Casserole


Ingredients

1 Package Chicken - about a lb but usually more like 1.25-1.5 lbs
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Can Corn
2 Boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
2 Eggs
2/3 Cup of Milk

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and layer in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Pour the 2 cans of soup and 1 can of corn on top.

In a bowl, mix the Jiffy Cornbread mix as directed on the box - 1 egg and 1/3 cup of milk for every box used.  Pour this mixture on top of the chicken/soup/corn.

Bake together for about 25-30 minutes.  At the end the cornbread topping should look golden and solid.  I sacrificed prettiness in the cornbread to poke through and make sure the chicken was fully cooked - looked good after more like 30 minutes due to the nature of my oven.

Notes

Boyfriend loves cornbread more than he loves me.  I wish I was exaggerating.  "I want to make love to this corn muffin and have little mini corn muffin babies and then I would eat our children".  He's literally said that.

So when I found the original recipe, I knew we had to try it.

It's taken numerous attempts with different amounts of everything.  Boyfriend in particular had been disappointed with previous attempts because there wasn't enough of the cornbread so a majority of it sunk into the soup becoming too soupy and losing the crustier part on top.

This above though got his seal of approval so finally!! Hazzah.

Prep was only about 5/10 minutes, which with 25-30 minutes baking means it's pretty easy and not too long.

I'm a big fan and will definitely be doing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment